How your tan turns out, how it fades and how long it lasts, is directly related to how you prepare before your tan and how you care for it after your tan. Every person’s skin reacts differently and some peoples skin type, naturally takes to a tan better. There are other factors like hormones that can alter the results for the same person on different occasions. Follow these tips below to ensure you get the best result and maximum life span out of your tan:
Before your tan
- Shower and exfoliate prior to your tan. We recommend exfoliating at ever shower for two days before your tan for maximum results. Use gloves or a puff and a PH balanced body wash. Body scrubs that contain oils and moisturisers are ok – just not immediately before your tan – they leave a film on your skin and the tan can’t penetrate it. No need to scrub hard or excessively, just a nice even pressure. This prepares the skin and removes dead skin cells and reduces the patchy effect when the tan starts to fade. Tan also takes better to well exfoliated fresh clean healthy hydrated skin – keep your skin nice and supple and moisturised prior to your tan and always, especially after your tan! Just make sure you remove any moisturiser before your tan. Shower as close to your appointment as possible to ensure the minimal amount of dirt, sweat and other residue on your skin.
- Wax and shave 24 hours prior to your tan – these things leave the pores open and can pool tan solution blocking pores and leaving the ‘speckled’ look in these areas.
- Make sure skin is free from moisturiser, deodorant, perfume, make-up, oils and other skin treatments when you come for your tan.
- Wear loose fitting dark clothing that won’t rub your tan. Tan naked, with bra and g-string or just g-string, the choice is yours.
To make your tan last up to an extra two days purchase the exfoliator in our professional pre and post care range. It is full of vitamins and minerals and is PH balanced so can be used immediately before your tan. It creates the most perfect platform to receive the tan. With the right exfoliator, your tan has the perfect foundation for deep, even and long lasting impact.
After your tan
- When you first wash your tan off, keep the shower short and use no body wash, a short quick shower just to get the bronzer off is all you need. Pat dry after every shower, no rubbing. The bronzer isn’t your tan – it is just the cosmetic immediate tan look. You will keep developing and go browner after the first shower.
- Avoid soaking in baths, chlorinated or salt water pools or spas and long swims at the beach.
- Moisturise after ever shower and whenever your skin feels dry, avoid moisturisers that contain fruit acids as they naturally exfoliate the skin. Carry a light moisturiser in your handbag and apply at work to your legs and arms if the aircon is drying out your skin.
- Use a tan extending moisturiser ever second day to extend the life of your tan.
- Learn to let go, when it’s over, it’s over. Don’t hang on to a tan longer that in wants to stay around, you will start to look less than impressive, give it up and get the gloves on and scrub and give it the respectful send off it deserves, then get a fresh new gorgeous tan!
If you followed our pre tan tips then you are well on your way to a long lasting gorgeous tan. To make it go the extra distance, invest in a tan extender. The tan extender is used every second day and tops up your colour with the same gorgeous ingredients used in your professional spray tan. You can even use your tan extender when you haven’t had a tan – it will just gradually build a health glow when used over a few days.